Resource prospects of municipal solid wastes generated in the Ga East Municipal Assembly of Ghana

  • Background: Municipal solid wastes management has recently become an important public health concern. Municipal solid wastes are a major source of raw materials that could be used for resource recovery for diverse applications. Objectives: The present study aimed to determine the composition of municipal solid waste and recoverable resources from the waste of the Ga East Municipal Assembly (GEMA) in the Greater Accra region of Ghana. Methods: An exploratory approach was used to collect pertinent data from the Abloradgei dumpsite in GEMA using semi-structured interviews and focus group discussion. A field characterization study was undertaken to segregate and estimate the value of various components of collected waste. Dumpsite workers were asked about current general composition of MSW, mode of collection and disposal, record of sanitation-related diseases, use of modern treatment plant, waste management legislation and enforcement challenges, number of trucks received by the dumpsite per day, record on pretreatment of MSW before disposal, and use of personnel protective equipment. Results: The results showed that significant proportions (48.8%) of the municipal solid wastes were organic materials, while the remaining (51.2%) were inorganic materials. The results also showed that 63% of the municipal solid waste is collected with no sorting from the source and no modern treatment applied before dumping. It was estimated that the value of the recyclable materials in GEMA municipal solid waste amounts to Ghana Cedis (GH¢) 9,381,960 (plastic); 985,111 (mixed glass); 5,160,078 (paper) and 11,586,770 (metal) with a total of GH¢ 27,113,919 ($10,845,568) equivalent to 2,106,339.2 m3 (74,384,667.5 ft3) per annum of biogas from these components with a market value of GH¢ 1,997,972.17 ($768, 393.62); 11,579 Mwh (1.32 Mw) of electricity and 9,535 Mwh (1.09 Mw) of heat. This is estimated to be lost with the current waste management practices. Conclusions: We recommend that GEMA institute sustainable recycling practices and utilization of biogas production technologies and prioritize sanitation and waste management education for the public, obligate home segregation of waste materials, involve workers by providing them with protective clothing, incorporate informal waste collectors and scavengers into the new system and collaborate with research institutions in waste-to-resource projects to ensure a more sustainable waste management system in the municipality.

Download full text files

Export metadata

Author:Benedicta Abiti, Susanne Hartard, Heike B. Bradl, Davar Pishva, John Kojo Ahiakpa
Parent Title (English):Journal of Health & Pollution
Publisher:PubMed Central
Document Type:Article (specialist journals)
Date of OPUS upload:2022/09/05
Date of first Publication:2017/06/22
Publishing University:Hochschule Trier
Release Date:2022/09/05
Tag:circular economy; municipal solid waste; sustainable waste management; waste flow analysis
GND Keyword:Abfallwirtschaft; Nachhaltigkeit; Siedlungsabfall; Kreislaufwirtschaft; Ghana
Article Number:PMC6259481
Page Number:11
First Page:37
Last Page:47
Departments:Institute / IfaS - Institut für angewandtes Stoffstrommanagement
Dewey Decimal Classification:3 Sozialwissenschaften / 33 Wirtschaft
Licence (German):License LogoCreative Commons - CC BY - Namensnennung 4.0 International